Kent Wills Logo
  • jquery carousel slider
  • More than just good advice
Lasting Power of Attorney LPA

Lasting Powers of Attorney forms "LPA's" must be completed when a person (the donor) has capacity to make decisions in preparation for when or if they lose mental capacity. Without Lasting Powers of Attorney documents in place the person or people you appoint to be your attorney's will not have the legal authority to manage your affairs or make decisions on your behalf.

The LPA's must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian.There are two types of Power of Attorney 1.Property and Financial Affairs and 2. Health and Welfare.

Lasting powers of attorney

1. LPA Property and Financial Affairs

The first type is the Property and Affairs LPA which covers decisions about the donor’s financial affairs and their property. These are designed for you to appoint an attorney to make a range of decisions including the buying and selling of your house and other assets, dealing with your tax affairs, operating bank and building society accounts and claiming benefits on your behalf. These can be used at your direction while mentally capable and also by the Attorneys if you lack the capacity to make these decisions.

A Property and Financial LPA allows your attorney to manage the following:

2. LPA Health and Welfare

The second type of LPA is the Health and Welfare LPA. This covers decisions about the donor’s personal welfare and health, and can only come into effect after the donor has lost capacity. Attorneys appointed under this document can make decisions relating to your living accommodation and care, consenting to or refusing medical treatment on your behalf, and on day-to-day matters such as diet and dress. This can only be used, however, if you have lost the capacity to make decisions for yourself

A Health & Welfare LPA allows your attorney's make decisions on the following

Before the LPA can be used it must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG). Their fee covers registration and should it occur, their costs of investigating allegations of mismanagement.

What happens if I don't have LPA's in place and lose mental capacity?

If you lack capacity but have not previously appointed an LPA for Health and Welfare, and there are ongoing decisions that need to be made about your health or care, then someone close to you can apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as your Deputy. This means that they will have the legal power to make decisions about certain aspects of your personal welfare. Deputies must be over 18 and are usually a family member or friend. The person who wishes to become your Deputy has to make an application to the Court of Protection. If their application is successful the Court will issue a court order that gives them authority to act on your behalf and explains which decisions they are legally allowed to make. It is worth noting, however, that welfare Deputies are appointed relatively rarely. This is because the Mental Capacity Act states that if a serious decision needs to be made about a person’s welfare, then a decision by the Court of Protection is preferable to appointing a Deputy. The Court will limit the Deputy’s decision-making power to specific issues, depending on your needs and the circumstances of the case. This is because the Deputy is appointed after you lose capacity and you therefore haven’t chosen this person yourself. A Deputy can only make a decision that they are authorised by the Court of Protection to make. So, for example, they cannot make a decision about your treatment if the Court has only given them the power to make a decision about your care arrangements. A Deputy must always make decisions in your best interests, and is bound by law to do so. They must also take all steps possible to help you make a decision for yourself if you can.

To apply to become a Court Appointed Deputy there is an initial fee of £400. The application is the first part of a longer process. Once the court order is issued there are continuing tasks and responsibilities that the Deputy has to complete. The Office of the Public Guardian will support and supervise decisions that the Deputy makes, and the Deputy will have to submit reports to them on any action or decision that is taken on your behalf. Further fees have to be paid to cover the cost of this supervision.

They are as follows:

Please contact us on 0800 6226 871 for advice on putting place your Lasting Powers of Attorney 

Click here to view the cost to put in place an LPA